If you are experiencing sharp pain that runs from your lower back through the buttocks into one of your legs, this may be due to sciatica. This condition occurs when the sciatic nerve, the longest nerve in the body, is pinched or compressed, resulting in pain. While sciatica can take a toll on your health, chiropractic care can help you find natural relief. If sciatica is troubling you in Mesa, AZ, please book an appointment with Le Baron Chiropractic Clinic for professional chiropractic care. Here are a few common questions about sciatica relief.
What are symptoms of sciatica?
While pain is the common symptom of sciatica, the severity of the pain depends on the cause of sciatica. Some describe the pain as sharp, stabbing, or shooting, while others describe the pain as burning. The pain may be constant or come and go. Plus, the pain is more pronounced in one leg than it is in the lower back.
The pain worsens when you sit for too long, stand up, or twist your body. Also, involuntary actions like sneezing and coughing may worsen the pain.
What are the risk factors for sciatica?
Sciatica is a common condition. In fact, about 40% of Americans are likely to experience sciatica at some point in their lives. Common triggers of sciatica include:
- Herniated disc: Disc herniation may cause the spinal structures to press on a nerve, causing pain, numbness, and tingling.
- Injury: Injury to your lower back may cause the spinal structures to compress the sciatic nerve, causing pain.
- Obesity: Unhealthy weight puts excessive pressure on the spine, compressing the spinal nerves.
- Diabetes: This condition puts you at risk of nerve damage, which increases the likelihood of sciatica.
- Occupation: If your occupation involves frequent heavy lifting, twisting, or bending, it increases the risk of lower back issues.
- Age: The older you are, the more the risk of sciatica since you are susceptible to back injuries.
- Pregnancy: Physical and physiological changes during pregnancy put undue pressure on the spine, increasing the risk of sciatica.
- Osteoarthritis: The weakening of the spinal joints may increase the risk of nerve damage, causing sciatica.
What are the chiropractic treatments for sciatica?
Seeking chiropractic treatment for sciatica is an excellent idea. Chiropractic care doesn’t use medication or surgery, making it suitable for most patients. Spinal manipulation is a common chiropractic treatment where we align your spinal joints to reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve. Lifestyle counseling involves recommending lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of sciatica.
Visit Us for Sciatica Treatment from Our Chiropractor in Mesa, AZ
Are you looking for a chiropractor in Mesa? You can count on Le Baron Chiropractic Clinic to provide the care you deserve. If you are looking for “sciatica treatment near me,” “chiropractor near me,” or “chiropractic care near me,” contact us today to learn more about how we can help.